Head Chef, Lostwithiel
Responsible to the Home Manager
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
As the Head Chef, you are responsible for managing the operation of the kitchen including food production, staff management, supplies, presentation / service and record management and compliance with quality and safety standards. Your duties will include:
- Supervision and preparation of the cooking and serving of delicious and nutritious hot and cold meals, as and when required for both Residents and Staff.
- Ensuring all meals are of the highest possible quality and attractively presented.
- Providing for special dietary requirements where necessary and taking into account the preferences of individual Residents.
- Ensuring that pureed, diabetics are taken into account.
- Portioning meals to Residents.
- Liaising with the Home Manager when planning / costing menus in order to provide a balanced nutritious diet, and making the best use of available fresh foods.
- Arranging / participating in Staff and Residential meetings as required.
Budgetary / Financial Control:
- Maintaining accurate records of food supplies, waste and hazard analysis, and freezer / fridge temperatures as required by Environmental Health, Food Standards Agency, CQC and the Company.
- Ensuring the correct and economical use of provisions and equipment within budgetary guidelines.
- Ensuring stock rotation. Ordering stocks and checking deliveries, and checking and valuing stocks as required by the Home Manager.
- Planning, design and costing of menus.
Human Resources (HR):
- Preparing Staff Rotas for Kitchen.
- Organising cleaning schedules.
- Interviewing for new Staff Members with the Home Manager as and when required, in line with the Company’s Recruitment policy.
Training & Development:
- Supervising and instructing Kitchen Staff Members in the use of all equipment and hygiene procedures, and giving help and guidance where appropriate.
- Conducting basic food hygiene training for all Care Staff involved in handling and delivery of food.
- Maintaining and improving professional knowledge and competence.
- Attending mandatory training days / courses, on or off site, as and when required.
Health & Safety:
- Ensuring statutory Health and Safety standards in the kitchen and dining areas.
- Making certain that chemicals / kitchen equipment are used and stored correctly and safety procedures adhered to at all times.
- Ensuring all crockery and equipment is cleaned and stored appropriately, and that the overall cleaning of the kitchen area (and, where appropriate, the dining areas) is carried out effectively.
- Reporting immediately to the Home Manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Resident, colleague, self or another.
- Understanding and ensuring the implementation of the Home’s Health and Safety, Infection Control and Hygiene policies, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
- Reporting to the Home Manager, or the Person in Charge, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Promoting safe working practice in the Home.
- Contributing to the safeguarding of adults by ensuring you are aware of your role in relation to the Home’s Safeguarding Adult’s Policy, taking steps to protects Residents from any form of abuse or neglect and use the appropriate reporting mechanisms to inform the Home’s Management of any concerns. .
- Promoting a positive personal / professional profile within the local community, ensuring the good reputation of the Home at all times.
- Ensuring that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties.
- Notifying the Home Manager, or the Person in Charge, as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return to work from all periods of absence.
- Ensuring the security of the Home is maintained at all times.
- Adhering to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
- Ensuring all equipment is clean and well maintained.
- Carrying out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.