Please find links below to information that has been made available for families.
The latest government guidance states that residents may leave care homes, that are free of any Covid outbreak, to visit a friend or family member’s garden, or go on walks in places such as parks, public gardens and beaches. However, they also state that the care home must balance this against a consideration of the risks to others in the home, in the event that the resident becomes infected on their visit, and the ability of the home to isolate the resident on return.
To ensure that we maintain the health and safety of all those in our care and employment, the following safeguards must be applied prior to any external visit taking place:
- Any visit outside of the care home MUST be discussed, planned, booked and agreed in advance with the Home Manager.
- A risk assessment MUST be completed and agreed in advance, as a part of the planning process.
- If the visit is agreed in principle, a negative test result, from both the resident and the family member will be required prior to the event going ahead.
- Trips, other than for medical purposes, will be limited to external venues such as parks, beaches and gardens.
- Only trips deemed as low-risk – to places such as gardens or parks – are exempt from the isolation rule on return to the home.
- The individual resident MUST be accompanied by a member of staff or a nominated visitor and must follow social distancing at all times.
- The trip should be made on foot, but if transport is required, a vehicle belonging to the nominated person may be considered. However, government guidance regarding social distancing and infection control (ie face coverings, windows open and wiped down handles/touched surfaces) must be followed. The use of public transport will not be allowed.
- The visit cannot involve meeting in groups or meeting indoors – apart from to use toilets.
- Overnight trips are not allowed, and residents will have to self-isolate after attending medical appointments.
All visits remain at the discretion of the Home Manager.